Spring is coming and along with it, hopefully nice weather, but also spring flowers – some of which may be poisonous to our pets. There are several common plants which we need to be cautious of, along with symptoms which come with poisoning. Dogs can be poisoned by eating just part of the plant, leaves or bulbs from the plant and heavy pollinated plants could disperse on their back and be licked off. Here’s a handy picture guide to some common poisonous plants which you may come across this year, along with some useful information.
Symptoms of poisoning in dogs include:
-Oral or skin irritation
-Excitability or lethargy
The RSPCA has some simple steps to do if you think your dog has been poisoned:
- Stay calm. Remove dogs from the source of poison.
- Contact your vet immediately; inform them when, where and how poisoning occurred. If appropriate, take the packaging, plant or substance to the vet. Don’t expose yourself to any harm.
- Follow your vet’s advice.
Never attempt to treat/medicate dogs yourself. Some medicines for humans and other animals may be poisonous to dogs.
Never attempt to make dogs vomit. Do not use salt water as it’s extremely dangerous.
If skin/fur is contaminated, wash with mild shampoo and water, rinse well and dry.
Keep dogs away from other animals to avoid cross-contamination.
The Kennel Club have a helpful downloadable booklet all about everyday poisons here
Download your free leaflet on Pets and Poisons – how to keep your pet safe
Dogs Trust have also compiled a handy pdf document with a list of poisonous plants, garden and household substances.
Check out 24 hour emergency helpline and useful website VPIS Global for more information and in an emergency.